Saturday, May 01, 2004

Single. Straight. Sagittarius.

Happened to come across my own home page on the MySpace blog site and noticed my profile proudly announcing that I was Single, Straight and Sagittarius. Sounds more like a headline. Actually similar to one of my all time favorite from a college copywriting class: Cool. Comfy. Cardin. A headline from a retail shoe ad hawking a pair of Pierre Cardin loafers.

Somehow, "Single. Straight. Sagittarius." doesn't paint a pretty picture. Sure it's accurate as I am single. straight and yes, born within a time span which places me in some astrological domain. But it doesn't quite cut it as a headline.

I also remember from that same copywriting class an assignment where you had to write a headline for an ad about yourself. It was one of those deceivingly simple assignments where it sounds like a piece of cake, but actually much tougher to actually do. I struggled and in the end plagerised the headline from Jerry Della Femina's signature ad biz book. The layout was a large photo of my sickly self with the headline, "From the folks who gave you Pearl Harbor."

It actually was a hit with the Prof...wasn't sure if he knew it was a deliberate rip-off or not, but he gave me a decent grade.

So why is it that it's so hard to look at yourself? Is single, straight and sagittarius the best I can do?

If you ask me, I'd rather be that cool, comfy pair of Cardin loafers.

No comments: