Saturday, May 01, 2004

Creativity and Inspiration

I had an entire week of lackluster motivation. It what I call my period. The time of the month. When the muse is away. I know it's part of my process. Procrastination. Trying to my juices up. Battery charged. All while suffering the blues. But that's not what this post is about. It's more about, "so what snaps you out?" Numerous people have written about this. I recall Mike Wallace or Morley Schaffer{sp} talking about what he endures to deal with his depression. Again---"what snaps you out?" Well the key for me is tied into inspiration which leads to creativity.

I saw something which snapped me out of it. A mirror. Well actually not a mirror, but what I saw acted as a mirror. I saw myself. And what I saw wasn't an exactly a pretty picture. But after taking a second, I realized I saw myself. It was enough to snap me out of the funk. It's amazing how when you get at the deepest point, the snap pushes the pendulum on the upswing. A reverse Wu Wei, if you will. I'm also realizing the importance of routines. There is a specific rhythm I follow. And when I follow that rhythm, I tend to minimize the ups and lows. It balances to something tolerable. A flattening of the bell curve, so to speak. Only the difference in this case is that it's best to move the curve out to the third standard deviation. Why? As in reverse logic, you don't want your emphasis within one deviation. The bell curve becomes too steep, and you're putting yourself into a heck of a climb. As Joe Sasaki would say, "the better the high, the worse the low." I suppose that's what you get when you have addictive qualities.

No comments: