Saturday, May 01, 2004

The God of Serendipity

Do coincidences really exist?

Or do we just string together disparate incidents and occurrences and weave them into something which we can draw some meaning? Maybe we just subconciously search for items and acknowledge the occurences as concidences to rationalize to ourselves that some force is at work. Perhaps the God of Serendipity?

I'm not sure. But I will say that regardless of whether it was just a series of coincidences or whether I was unconciously directing myself, such a day happened on Thursday. It was as if the entire day was pointing to her. Someone who's no longer in my life, but within a 24 hour period, traces of her being was everywhere. It's as if she had just been there--her presence lingering--as if to say,"You just missed me."

It all started with a dream. Three dreams to be exact. In tandem. One after another. Each revolving around a strong feeling. Joy. Anger and Sorrow. And as the day progressed, it became signs of her became pronouced. I would walk into a store and I immediately in front of me would be an item which I associated with her. Not just one. But in abundance. Piled high as if to be sure I wouldn't miss it. In the bookstore it was as if the books called upon to me to retrieve them from the shelves. Much like singling out kernels from your memories. And if I by chance I obliged, I would open to a section which would contain her favorite author, passage or an unmistakenly significant rememberance.

Nevertheless, whether I was forcing these occurances, or whether all these items were merely just concidences, in the end it left me with a strong sense of elation, as if the memories were enveloping me in my journey ahead.

No comments: